Thursday, December 5, 2013

the 16th man



Coincidentally, a few nights ago I watched a riveting documentary (from the ESPN 30 for 30 series) called The Sixteenth Man, about the 1995 Rugby World Cup as a turning point in South Africa. Mandela was the 16th man. Watching it gave me some insight into his courage and goodness, and a  glimpse at the challenges he and his country faced. Tolerance. Compassion. Forgiveness.

Good film, now, a nice tribute. I found it on cable tv, and it's available on You Tube: http://youtu.be/MePCZ_hw9lM


Sport has the ability to change the world. It has the power to inspire, the power to unite people that little else has... It is more powerful than governments in breaking down racial barriers.

                                                                                              -Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)

6 comments:

  1. As I was reading this, my son came upstairs to tell me that he had passed away. I hadn't heard. I was always afraid that he would be forgotten in prison, but I guess the people wouldn't let that happen...he was larger than life to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 27 years in prison, and then he became president! Truth is surely stranger then fiction.

      Delete
  2. I like the quote you posted. It is really sad though that Mandela just passed away. He was a really inspirational man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel fortunate to have been on the Esplanade for Mandela's visit to Boston in 1990. What a joyful day it was.

    ReplyDelete