Thursday, May 23, 2013

dreams of sea anemones


canal, Lowell

Lowell, where my studio is, has many canals, which were used to power the old textile mills. Canals make me think of Venice, which I visited once, and Amsterdam, where I've never been, but I think I would like. My reading these days takes me farther afield. I left India and went to Chechnya, via the deeply moving, beautifully written, interesting (and harrowing) novel, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. The first line:

On the morning the Feds burned down her house and took her father, Haava woke from dreams of sea anemones.

Isn't that the most wonderful sentence? It encompasses the novel--harshness and the beauty.

sea nettles

It brought to life for me Chechnya, a place I've only had the vaguest understanding of, though Chechnya was much in the Boston news after the marathon bombings, because the accused brothers have Chechen roots. (Read more about Chechnya here.) There was an eerie aspect to reading it in light of the bombings, since amputations due to land mines are an important part of the book. (One of the main characters is the only doctor left in a hospital abandoned in war-time.)

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena is a deep and poignant story of families who are connected in unexpected ways. A dark book--but that makes what light shines through more powerful. It's a book that I know will stay with me.

sea nettles

16 comments:

  1. M-m-m. Suppressed peoples make for sad stories. You're brave to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so well written, and the characters were compelling.

      Delete
  2. sounds interesting. but also like something borderline too dark for me at the moment. will add it to my reading list though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been alternating dark and light--it helps.

      Delete
  3. The book sounds profound and deep.
    We hear much about the chechyns here. They have been fighting against Russia for years.
    They want indipendence.
    You might remember the Theatre fiasco in moscow about 4 years back.. it was the chcheyns that killed a lot of people.

    The sea nettles..look like "Portuguese man of war" a very large dangerous jelly fish.
    enjoy the rest of your book over the week end.
    val

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go to your studio for painting and return to your home for reading, Jen. What fulfilled days you have!
    I know little about Chechen, though my daughter- in- law loves Russia so she might know a little about Chechen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jen, I am particularly attracted to canals, both for their history and their beauty. In Cleveland there are a few fragments of the old Ohio canal which have been made into parks, and which your post has prompted me to put on my list for my vacation this summer.
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember visiting the Erie Canal, as a girl scout!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous first line! Its always the thing i read to decide if i want to buy/borrow a book. I've always enjoyed your reading recommendations. This one sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like an interesting story Jen! It is a very promising first sentence indeed.

    Happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen.. You are very brave in your choice of literature. Lately, I seem to go more for the escapist rather than deep, but I do enjoy your take on what you are reading! How's the creative process going...when do we get another glimpse? :-) Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plenty of escaping too!
      Painting is good--I'm trying to get settled into it...

      Delete
  9. My first thought was Amsterdam, a place that's quite high on my list. It must be very nice and calming to be in your studio and see the view. That is quite a first line in that book, sounds very interesting so I think I'll add it to my ever growing list. Did you draw/paint the sea nettles in the second photo?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello dear Jen,

    that opening line is one perle . For me is important. The opening lines of a book.
    They almost let me know immediately if I'm going to like it and how much (with some exceptions fo course)

    I have never been to Venice but I've visit Amsterdam many years ago and loved it.
    I remember those buildings next to the canals leaning forward a little, like they were watching us, people passing by, down on the narrow streets...
    I think you would love it too.

    lotd of love from a sunny & warm east of Norway : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've heard I'm sure that I would love Amsterdam!
      So glad you are enjoying sun and warmth!

      Delete
  11. I like the way you put it; "A dark book-that makes what light shines through more powerful" I'd like to read it if I have a chance.

    ReplyDelete