Monday, September 19, 2011

wanted: summer shack


I like the way the topmost impatien appears to be looking out of my kitchen window. I'm starting to say goodbye to summer, as the word frost came up in yesterday's weather forecast.

Word's getting around that I'm closing the store at the end of the year, and I had quite a few visits this weekend from people who were sad about it. Some customers, but a surprising amount of other store owners. Lots of commiserating and brainstorming. I've figured out a few things.

1. Close the store when the waterfall turns to icicles.

Bearing in mind that it is a labor of love (meaning I'm not doing it to make money, but can't lose money) and that my weekday life is 240 miles away, if I reopen, I want it to be seasonal--May or June to November or December. 

2. Consider focusing almost exclusively on vintage art--my favorite thing to find, buy, and sell. 


3. I need to be enthusiastic and inspired. I'm not going to force this. Close the store at the end of the year. Go to auctions and pick up fun, inexpensive art and other things that make my heart flutter. Maybe reopen next summer if I can find a cheap summer shack with plenty of wall space. 


What do you think of this picture? It's a photograph of what looks to be a porcelain doll. Her expression is so poignant and lovely. She looks like a ballerina. I'm not a doll person, but find this picture moving. It's large--the frame is 23" x 30", which gives it power. She's semi-neglected, leaning against a wall in my foyer, auction sticker still on. Moved to the chair for me to take the picture, then back to the floor. Haven't taken her to the store because she doesn't quite fit. Or maybe I don't want to give her up?

9 comments:

  1. I could follow your way of thinking with the lovely pictures. Maybe you need time to completely make up your mind, because you love your work. Never hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jen:
    It must be so very difficult to decide what to do for the best where the store is concerned. And we do so agree, and have often told ourselves the same, one cannot continue with something if, at the end of the day, it is actually costing money, however much one enjoys it [that is unless one is mega rich which we are not]. What is more, if it is not actually making anything, then there have to be other ways of spending one's time which do not involve driving 240 miles.

    We agree that the photograph of the doll has a somewhat haunting quality and think that it does, in fact, look rather good propped against a chair - if not that one, then another.We do like the picture of the lake with yachts which you show. Is it a watercolour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Haricot, Jane and Lance and that you should take some time to completely decide on what to do.
    But if it costing you money and time well then really life is too short Jen.
    Good luck with your decision.

    I really like the photo, it is so fragile looking.

    Have a good Tuesday


    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  4. re-structuring is essential. i know you are making the right choices for you. learning and figuring out what will work when you venture out again. and hopefully i'll be able to visit your next space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you find a property nearer home?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Jen

    I think you are going to figure "this" all out... in time...(I'm so smart, right?) take your time and don't give up on doing what you love. I think you will find the perfect "shack" and it will evolve for you. You have a great idea and great taste in vintage. the picture is wonderful...a lot of feelings come to my mind when I look at the art...a doll Venus De Milo,.. sort of

    Hugs and sweet days of autumn ahead !
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, its not easy to let go something loved. i understand. but i am happy yur manage to set things down and make plans.... and its for sure a ballerina! looka at her neck posture. the consentration. ( and some hidden pain...) lots of love from Norway dear : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have a plan. I love that icicle photo, and the doll photo is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are all great ideas, Jen. Love the idea of specializing in art... and that photo is very unusual. I'd keep it, it obvously has some special appeal for you! Sell it when you get bored with it...

    ReplyDelete