Sunday, September 25, 2011

carry on?


I'm considering keeping the store open. I have been touched by how many people--especially other business owners--have reached out to me.  I would probably close for a time after the holidays for renovations and restructuring, and maybe just be open Saturdays for the lean months. I have some ideas that I think can reduce my travel burnout. The store's been open almost a year now, and in that time I've become part of the community in a way I wasn't when I was just a weekend resident.


The effects of the floods will continue for quite some time. I was in Margaretville last weekend, three weeks after the storm, and there was nowhere to get a sandwich or cup of coffee, in a town that a month ago had three luncheonette/diner type establishments, a pizzeria, and three restaurants. Of those seven businesses only one of the restaurants was partially open. There are normally three ways to get to Main Street. Two were closed because of flood damage. The third was closed for several hours last weekend because of a fire--arson--a desperate owner who didn't have flood insurance, allegedly set fire to his own building. EDIT: Oct 5: Authorities said it was a clothes dryer that caused the fire, not arson. It was very depressing. However, many of those businesses will reopen sooner or later, and the town will rebuild.


It seems like a particularly selfish time to give up my business. I can just walk away, but so many other people can't. If my little store provides a flicker of light in the dark time this community is in, maybe I should make the effort to keep it going. Perhaps business will get better and perhaps I will become a better person and member of the community in the process.

(if those photos look familiar, yes I have used them before here ...)

10 comments:

  1. i think what you do and think is just wonderful. you brought tears to my eyes Jen. people are so selfish nowdays that thoughts ( and actions) like yours would realy change the world. we just have to start from ourself and our community. my heart is with you : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to go away when you get to know and care about people isn't it. Hopefully, the holidays will bring more tourists in and help the other businesses. Meanwhile, hang in there and keep up the good work Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds wonderful...glad to hear you say this...my eyes are filled with tears...I cannot imagine having to go through such a bad flood and all the people that are hurting so much. Ill keep praying for everyone to find hope and strength to go on and fight back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! And that's so sad about the owner without insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jen, what a decision to have to make.

    it's hard to leave a community....it's also got to be hard to travel so many hours every weekend.

    We're hear to lend an ear 9 and an opinion whether solicited or not:)
    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you made your decision not to leave there.
    I suppose that people have helped each other there and it made them stronger as the members community. And also I guess that you will have a lot of thins to do for the reopening.
    Please take care of youeself, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jen:
    Rather than a 'flicker of light' we are certain that you, your approach to life in time of trouble, as now in the aftermath of the hurricane, and your store, simply by being there, are seen by many as a beacon of hope. We are so pleased to know that you are considering ways in which it may be possible to continue whilst relieving you of some of the problems associated with being for so much of the time at a distance. We shall be most interested to hear, in due course, what you finally decide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such awful pictures but such a hopeful message, Jen. I admire your gumption. Being part of a community is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sad that someone was driven to commit arson... and now they face criminal charges, in addition to the cost of rebuilding their business (if ever...) Its nice,on the other hand, to hear about the support you got from the other merchants. That's what's nice about small towns! It'd be great if you keep it going and get it to where it's not too much work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what difficult decisions you are facing, jen. i agree with the hattatts.....i'm sure you are a beacon of light in the community with your wonderful perspective. i know you will find a way to make your life, your store, your community all work beautifully.

    ReplyDelete