Tuesday, May 24, 2011

poetry


Last winter I printed a short poem by Robert Frost on textured paper and put a small stack out in the store with a note: a poem for you. Later I inserted the word free, because it is a store after all.

      Dust of Snow
    
    The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree


Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.
                                                                     
I was surprised and pleased that a fair number of the poems were taken, and that a few people even came to talk to me about poetry. So next weekend I'm going to take another poem.


The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

                                                                         - W.B. Yeats

Do you have a favorite poem?

Jen

1 comment:

  1. Delightful idea, Jen. Yeats is my favorite poet. I also love the poem Dover Beach by Matthew Arnold, such a beautiful closing line.

    ReplyDelete