Thursday, March 24, 2011

mountains, wilderness, or plain vanilla?

                                                                                                                       photo: University of Georgia School of Forestry

I ordered small balsam fir pillows from a company in Maine that has been making them since 1931. They are so aromatic---fresh and piney. If I ordered 24 (which could be a mix of styles and sizes) I could get them imprinted. They make nice souvenirs so I decided to do that. But what to put on it? Catskill Mountains sounds nice, and there are mountains (albeit small East Coast ones). There is also a vast wilderness park. Lots of rolling hills and dairy farms. Lakes and rivers and waterfalls. I decided to keep it simple: The Catskills.

I put most of them in this big basket.


and a couple here
and here

I wish I could transmit the aroma to you.

Jen

p.s. You might want to check out this article on American rustic via the lens of the NY Times.

3 comments:

  1. They look charming and I bet the aroma is divine! Now that would be something good to send via mail order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I wish I had a scratch and sniff computer screen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Catskills" is perfect. Something I would definitely buy. So much better than the typical pen or shot glass souvenir.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete